Saturday, January 4, 2014

Check your ego at the door...and get more work!

I am going to sound like your mother for this post, but once in a while I will run across someone with a huge ego in this business, and I feel its time I addressed it.  People with huge ego's have a hard time getting work, but they don't understand it because they believe themselves to be so awesome.  People block them and delete them, but they believe its just jealousy. They shine brighter than the brightest star and are just misunderstood. Right? (sigh, no)  

I recently worked with someone like this.  I was embarrassed for them the entire time on set. I was disappointed.  I really expected more from this person.  I know the production company will never hire them again.  Just little things they did all day were very annoying....to everyone, cast and crew.  I never name names, but truly folks, humility is your friend.  If I have a bad experience with someone on set, do you think I will ever recommend them to a producer or casting agent?  Nope!  I won't air anyone's dirty laundry, but I will recommend someone else.  Be professional and get hired time and time again.  Be nice and be real!  Be thankful and grateful and happy and play well with others.  They will want you back time and time again.

Can you be excited about your work and accomplishments?  Yes!  Should you pump up your career on social networking sites? Of course!  Just check yourself (before you wreck yourself).  What I am talking about here is people who talk about how awesome they are.  People who get angry that other people got roles because they are so much better.  Its all about peoples true mindset and how they address others in public.  Its all about them and never about anyone else.  Most of the time it involves backstabbing others and just general unprofessional behavior.

None of us are "all that" and all of us can be replaced, so why do so many people in this industry have huge ego's?  Its one thing to be excited about what we are doing but its entirely another to act like we are better than others.  Newsflash:  The world does not revolve around you.  Centuries will come and go and billions will not know your name.  Its time you put yourself in perspective.  

Be EXCITED about your work and work really hard, but also build up others in the process.  Don't tear others down at your expense.  Karma baby - the higher you regard yourself, the less the world will think of you.  If you have a huge ego on set and are constantly a distraction, you will not get re-hired by that production company, and its a small community, word spreads.  Be humble, be grateful, be HIRED!

If your reading this, your ego is probably just fine.  If you had an ego problem, you wouldn't bother with my blog.  I appreciate the fact that you are reading it - thank you!

Have something to add?  Share it!  Have fun and I will see you on set!

https://www.facebook.com/DebbieJenningsActor

https://twitter.com/ActressDeb

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4824944/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

http://debbiejennings.biz/

  

2 comments:

Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate you reading and commenting on my blog. All the best to you!