Sunday, February 16, 2014

Self motivation is key! Don't let others get you down...

Its time for my motivation speech.  I have seen a lot of discouraged people lately.  I have been discouraged in the past many times because of people or situations, and I decided a while back to stop the madness! What encourages you or discourages you?  Who believes in you and who doesn't?  Do you want to know a secret?  The most important thing is keeping yourself motivated and not listening to the negative things others put into your head.   

Do you have a disability, or do you have people close to you that say you will never amount to anything and acting is a silly waste of time?  We all have something that nags at us.  Its really important that you believe in yourself to keep your dream alive.  Do what you need to do to keep the negative chatter out of your head. Keep moving forward in a positive direction.  Sometimes YOU are all you have!

When I started acting, some of my friends and family fed me a lot of negativity that I was too old, and I would never make it in this business.  What is the definition of "make it"; what is the definition of success?  Its whatever you want it to be, not anyone else.  Everyone's goals and dreams are different.  Sometimes the support is just not there no matter how much we would like it to be.  Some of us dream of becoming a household name or being famous, others want steady work: what's your dream, and what are your goals?  I didn't even know what I really wanted out of the acting biz until I had done it for a while.  What I really enjoy now for many reasons, is the "commercial business".  I do film here and there but love commercial acting the best!  How about you?  Its important to know what you like and why.

Once I was in the business a few years and becoming more successful and happier, I was talking to one of these negative people again, hoping they would congratulate me on what I have been able to accomplish so far. I don't know why I bothered, they were still very negative towards me.  I decided they had a personal problem with my success, and I was not going to let their words get to me.  Why was I even hoping to get their blessing? They are an important part of my life and it would be nice for them to say something positive about it.  But I have decided to let it go - I have to, and so do you. You are better than the negativity others will try and feed you. 

What else nags at you?  Failure?  I had three big auditions in the last couple of weeks and  I ended up not getting hired for any of them. I really wanted at least one of them.  Yes, I was disappointed, but I had the opportunity to act, which is what I love to do, so I enjoyed the auditions and moved on.  I wasn't what they were looking for, and I didn't take it personally.  Lots of great talent out there, and they found what they were looking for.  I was happy for the opportunity to audition (and act!) and that's what you have to leave with mentally, to be happy and to just move forward.  Do what you need to do to make this work or it will destroy your career. Being depressed or down because of what others think or circumstances is an instant career killer.  

Remember the old saying "Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how we react to it".  Its so true with everything in life!  

Thanks for reading, and see you on set!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate you reading and commenting on my blog. All the best to you!