Saturday, February 8, 2014

What Agents, Casting Directors, Producers and Directors don't like to see......


Every now and again I am at an audition or on set and see some things I know make others cringe.  I preach professionalism, and these are obvious to most of us.  Just a friendly reminder what the pros don't like to see.  Feel free to add your list in the comments as well:

1) Egos - check them at the door.

2) Cameras - ok unless the camera is rolling.  Ask permission first though.

3) Over-acting - I love the photo below.  Find your acting method and use it.  You "become" the character, no need to over-act it.  Proper training will take care of this.

4) Un-preparedness - lines, character, etc - take the time you need and prepare beforehand.  I made the mistake in a call-back once and forget my headshot (I didn't get the part - coincidence? Now I keep them in the car) 

5) Being late - always be early and wait in the car if you are "too" early.  Call if there is a traffic jam

6) Not having wardrobe options requested - logos are the biggest thing I see that people ignore

7) Not following instructions.  Simple things like "quiet on set" is the most commonly ignored

8) Attitude - leave it at home with the ego.  We are all in this together, lets get along today.

9) Asking a favor of the crew.  Don't ask the AD to take a set photo, and don't ask the boom operator for a glass of water.  Everyone has their assigned tasks, including you.

10) Complaining - don't complain about food choices (bring your own if you are gluten intolerant, vegan etc), or complain about the length of time waiting around, etc - this is normal.

11) Music - please don't turn your ipod on in the cast holding area for the entire room to hear it - use earbuds.  

12) Talking - don't be too loud, don't gossip and make sure everyone can hear the directors instructions.  

13) Waste time - everyone wants to get done in a timely manner.  In auditions, don't ask 100 questions, and on set, don't make people have to find you.

I am sure there are more, please share your thoughts.  I hate to focus on negative stuff, but I really wanted to just put a gentle reminder out there that we are all in this together.  Lets be professional, make the cast and crew love you so much, they want you back on set every time. 

See you on set!




https://www.facebook.com/DebbieJenningsActor

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4824944/

http://debbiejennings.biz/



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate you reading and commenting on my blog. All the best to you!